Thursday, August 20, 2009

ENOYING AMERICA!

Thursday, August 20, 2009

We have been in the states one month today. Some things have been very easy for us to get used to again and other things have been a bit of a challenge.

Here are some of the things we have enjoyed so far:

Taking a bath with bubbles
Playing Uncle Steve’s Guitar Hero and Wii
Snow cones (Tyler got his tongue stuck. It was quite funny!)
Drinking Dr. Pepper
Going to the library
Piano lessons
Splash parks
“Printmaking funshop” at the Bell Country Museum in Belton (Ryan went)
The Waco zoo (Ginny and Joshua went with a church group)
Playing at the lake (Ryan went with a church group)
Eating Cinnamon Toast Crunch, pop tarts, cheddar cheese, Kraft Macaroni and Cheese
Spending time with grandparents (Ryan has been walking with grandpa every morning)
Conveniences: Microwave (I forget that it is there), dishwasher (I still like hand-washing better!), and clothes drier (now that is a machine I could get use to)

Joshua/Santa Clause in the bath


Ryan playing Guitar Hero with Uncle Steve


Snow cones


Jeff helping Joshua with piano lessons


Ryan enjoying a Dr. Pepper


Things that have been a bit harder to get used to:
Coming to a complete stop when at a stop sign, being able to turn right on red, and using the turn signal
Throwing toilet paper in the toilet (instead of the trash car)
Feeling rude just saying, “hi” to people instead of greeting them with a kiss on both cheeks
Closing doors in order to keep in the air-conditioning
Always feeling a bit cold due to the air-conditioning
Shopping at Wal-Mart. I love the one-stop shopping but there are so many choices
Answering questions from my children like: “Why does everyone have 2 cars?” (Ginny)

5 comments:

Karyn Hatch said...

Loved this post! I'm glad you all are enjoying your time in the states. Wish we could see y'all in the Valley. If you head anywhere near Kansas City let us know! :)

Enid said...

I missed kissing in the cheecks too. I do still give hugs if they let me, after eleven years in TX...I still find people that don't do this in a regular basis. I do still wash my plates by hand. May our Lord continue blessing you in this Journey! Is been fun to see all the places here in TX and see you in a picture with the Davidson's

Anonymous said...

A lot of people kiss here in Louisiana. I think it's great and more of a sincere greeting. Thanks for posting! Lauren

Sarah said...

This is such a neat post. So many things we all take for granted or never even think about. I'm so glad y'all are having a good time back in the States.

Norberto Kurrle said...

hahaha, I can totally relate to those lists! I'm so happy you guys are doing well and sharing about God's work in Paraguay. We enjoyed our furlough but are SO happy to be back!