Monday, April 19, 2010

E KOMO MAI O HAWAI’I (welcome to Hawaii)

April 7-14, 2010

Jeff and I were so blessed to be able to spend a week on the big island of Hawaii! The first three days we stayed at a hotel where Jeff attended an ultrasound conference. While he was in class, I relaxed on the beach or by the pool. It was a beautiful hotel with a beautiful view. We slept with the porch doors open and fell asleep to the sound of the waves. We woke up early each morning and walked along the beach. It doesn’t get any more romantic than that!

The next few days we stayed in a house in Kona. I lived in Kona from age 2-12 and had not been back in 20 years. Jeff was gracious enough to listen as I walked down memory lane a lot. We ate dinner at one of my favorite childhood restaurants and then sat along the sea wall one evening. We walked around my old neighborhood and even knocked on the door of my old house (no one was there, but we did peek in the windows). We visited the YWAM base where my dad worked and where I spent most of my elementary years. I have lots of fun memories from my decade in Hawaii and I absolutely loved showing the island to Jeff.

We did several touristy things too. We took a boat to Kealakekua Bay (where Captain James Cook was killed) and snorkeled. We drove completely around the island stopping at Volcanoes National Park, Hilo, a couple waterfalls, and the beautiful Waipi’o Valley. We attended a lu’au and walked all over town trying to find Jeff the perfect Aloha shirt. I loved all the yummy seafood - breaded scallops, calamari, shrimp, ahi, salmon, unagi (eel), and swordfish and the fresh fruits.

A HUGE “thanks” goes out to Jeff’s parents for watching the kids and allowing Jeff and I to have our first nights without children since Ryan was born 101/2 years ago.



3 comments:

Liz Crittenden said...

I am so glad ya'll got to have this special time.
I want to hear all about it!
Blessings!

Naomi said...

So glad you had fun! What a neat trip! Have you really not had any nights to yourselves without the kids all these years? Wow!

houghslife (how's life?) said...

beautiful amy!