Saturday, December 18, 2010

CHRISTMAS TIME in PARAGUAY

December 1, 2010

Christmas time in Paraguay is....HOT! Nobody is wearing coats or gloves or scarves; we wear tank tops and flip-flops. There are no turkeys or cranberry sauce for sale; instead you see tons of watermelon. In our town, you’d be pretty hard pressed to find evidence of Christmas as we are use to in North America...no lights, few (small) trees, no ads galore displaying children’s toys, no Christmas music. It is different and it took a couple years to get use to.


The same weekend we put up our tree, we put up the pool.

We had some helpers...in fact; I think there are more non-McKissick kids in this photo.




It’s hard to want to cook bunches of Christmas cookies when my indoor thermometer read 97 degrees in the kitchen (BEFORE turning the oven on!). But we did them anyways. (please ignore Micah's incredibly dirty face....he washed his hands though).






Ginny and some friends making Christmas ornaments out of wire and beads. They turned out cute.

3 comments:

Norberto Kurrle said...

I love it! I still miss snow at Christmastime, but there's nothing better than eating watermelon out by the pool!

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Chrissy said...

Even after all these years, when I think of Christmas I can still smell the flor de coco my mom put out in the house for the holidays!

Kristy said...

I can totally relate! We were thankful when we got out our tree a cool front came through and it was only 75 degrees. Merry Christmas!