Monday, May 23, 2016


What a blessing it was to camp for two nights with 3 other missionary families. The weather was great. The little kids loved splashing in the many shallow pools of river water. For hours the boys jumped into the water from a rope swing. We ate like kings - big breakfasts and lots of grilled meat. An Airsoft game was a highlight. Several kids gathered their courage and for the first time leaped from the jumping rock. Moms enjoyed sitting and talking.

 11 in a tent (our family plus a friend of Ginny's) and our puppy,  Crowded!
After late nights, interrupted sleep due to Claire (who still doesn't sleep well at night!), the puppy in our tent at night (she was too young to leave at home and whined too loudly to leave outside out tent), cows and chickens (there are cows and chickens everywhere in this country), and early mornings we were exhausted when we arrived home Sunday evening.
We were greeted by meat juice coming on our porch. The door to our stand up freezer had been ajar and everything in it was ruined. Hundreds of dollars of it was heartbreaking!
While camping we purposely left our little kitty inside the house with food, water and a litter box. When we got home, however, the kitty was in our yard. The next morning Jeff and I noticed that one of our wooden wall planks must have rotted off because it was leaning against the house leaving a gap at the top where the cat must have got out. Only later did our five year old neighbor confess that several kids heard our cat meowing (why were they even in yard in the first place?) and they removed the plank to let it out!

It’s one thing to sit outside in the pitch black and sleep with no air flow while camping but to do that in your house is a different story. But that was our story the day after getting home from camping. At 7pm we noticed our fuse box smelled like it was burning and when we investigated, we realized that it was melting. Jeff decided to cut all power to the house to avoid a fire to our wooden house. The instant he did that, it was so hot and still, pitch dark and buggy. We all slept horribly, pouring with sweat as we lay on top of sheets with bugs buzzing around our ears. Thankfully the electrician came the following day and fixed the problem.

No comments: