Monday, January 17, 2011

BIRTHDAY BAKING

I really enjoy celebrating our kids’ birthdays with themed cakes, decorations and games. The kids enjoy choosing their theme and we come up with ideas that fit that theme.  It's fun being creative (and I have to be extra creative at times down here).

Not only are our kids always having birthdays, but their friends are always having birthdays.  Most are poor and when I ask, “Did you do anything special for your birthday?”, they respond, “No.” 
No special food, no friends over, no balloons, no cake. It makes me sad because every now and then you need a party in your honor. 

Something Ginny and I have enjoyed doing recently is baking sweets for those friends.

We made this “ice cream” cake for Gasparina who turned 13.
I recently made these for our team mate’s birthday...The “ice cream” is cake balls.



This was Ginny’s idea for Francisco’s 14th birthday – a Paraguayan soccer shirt (which she made and frosted herself) and a soccer ball (which Ginny made and I frosted).



2 comments:

Edie said...

Amy, you always amaze me with what you can do with cake! Beautiful job too, Ginny!!

Danielle said...

Very, very impressive :) I know I don't do a good enough job coming over and checking in on you guys, but I always love it when I do!

Sending love your way,
Danielle