Sunday, April 10, 2011

PIG CASTRATION

March 31, 2011

I have to admit, I had zero confidence in my hubby when he announced that he was going to castrate our pig (apparently you have to do this a month before eating the pig or the meat will taste sour). He had seen it done once and wanted to give it a try. In case you didn’t know (and wanted to), a male pig’s “parts” are INSIDE his body and have to be cut out. It took a little help from the family (and our guest) to hold the pig still, but Jeff managed to do the procedure with such ease that I wonder why he didn’t become a veterinarian.


Jeff capturing the pig...love their faces!


Tyler washing the underbelly of the pig


Even Julia joined us outside for the action.


Apparently this is all you need for the job - a kitchen knife, gloves, sanitizer and spray to keep the flies off.


I love Micah in his photo - holding his ears shut!

It took all of us to hold him down.


The pig was screaming pretty loudly.


Dinner? In some places I am sure these are delicacies....thankfully that is not the case here.


After the big event was over, Jeff took the opportunity to have an educational talk with the kids.

Quote of the day -

Ginny: I can’t wait to see his balls up close.

5 comments:

marion said...

yikes - thats gonna smart in the morning !

Naomi said...

Oh my!!!!! At first, I thought you were going to do this to poor Vern.
I gather you did not use pain killer. Would have loved to have been there for the lesson by Jeff. Wow!!!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome. I love it!

abbyeisenlohr said...

Haha! This is great! The official name for the "delicacy" is mountain oysters!

Anonymous said...

This is Ashley Rogers (I don't have an account so I just did this comment under Anonymous)I was checking out pictures of my sweet daughter when I saw your post title. I couldn't help but check it out. This may be the best post I've ever seen! Jeff, you da man!! Amy, after seeing the picture of your excitment with the pig balls, I'm going to be a lot more cautious the next time you offer up a "delicacy". I love that Jeff gave a lesson after it was all over! Classic!!!