Tuesday, April 9, 2013



Thursday, March 21, 2013

37 weeks

            First let me say that my previous SIX pregnancies went 40 weeks with a couple pushing 41 weeks.  Tyler was the earliest arrival, arriving 3 days before his due date and Julia went 6 days over her due date.  For baby #7 I was as mentally prepared (as prepared as one can be) to go 41 weeks.  My labors with all SIX have been at least 24 hours long or more (I was in labor with Julia for 36 hours) and pretty predictable.  I expected nothing less this time around.  Our plan was to head up to the city – 5 hours away – on the 5thof April to wait out the April 11th due date.  But that was just OUR plan.  God (and baby) had a different plan and this is how it went....   

            I woke up leaking some fluid.  It wasn’t enough to get excited about, but enough that Jeff wanted to do an ultrasound.  All looked good - no dilation and no contractions.  I went about my regular business of cleaning, cooking and homeschooling and didn’t give it much thought.

Jeff however was giving it much thought and over lunch he announced that we needed to pack up and head into Asuncion just in case.  I have learned that it never wise to argue with my husband or my doctor and seeing that the two were one in the same, I did as was told even though I did not feel that a baby would be coming any time soon.

It took us an hour and a half to get our suitcases packed, our house ready to leave, medical/birthing supplies packed, and plans made for our animals.  Not even the bumpy roads leading to civilization produced any ounce of a contraction. 

But at 5:00 all my doubts changed as I had my first contraction and my second and third and so on...all 5-10 minutes apart and getting more intense.  We arrived at the SIM guest house in Asuncion at 8:00pm and Jeff immediately set the room up as a birthing suite while I tried to get comfortable.  With oxygen, ultrasound, Doppler, suction, airway, scissors, suturs, clamps, towels, IV tubing, and medicines all in place.....Doctor Dad was ready for delivery and I was getting there too. 


At 10:50pm, after some intense pain and a couple pushes the newest little McKissick was born.  He was pretty blue when he arrived; but with some oxygen he pinked up in time.  We praise God for another great “home” delivery, for a healthy mama and a beautifully handsome baby boy.

What’s his name?  Well, we’re not 100% decided.  Maybe he’ll have one by tomorrow.


How thankful we are for Jean (a team mate who lives and hour up the road from us) was able on a moment’s notice travel to Asuncion with us to help with the kids.  Of course, the kids were not able to sleep knowing that their baby brother would be arriving soon.  They were wide awake when we went in to announce his arrival.  Micah was the first to hold him and then he made his way through the arms of each kid.  Julia gave him a thumbs up.


No comments: