Monday, July 14, 2014

T.I.M.E update #7

June 29- July 5

The interns’ last week….
Bible study

last days with host families

One intern noted that T.I.M.E (the name of our program - Training in Medical Evangelism) should stand for Training in Meat Eating.  There is no doubt that Paraguayan LOVE their asados (grilling meat) and we have participated in several this month.  One of the intern’s family gave a good-bye party for the interns and invited their host families.  We again ate a lot of meat.

Monday Jeff saw his last patients (until we get back from home assignment in July 2015) and then promptly took down his sign.

Wednesday we left Jataity at 6:00 and headed for Argentina in our crowded vehicle….did I ever mention that all these trips with the T.I.M.E students we squeeze the 6 of them plus the 9 of us into our Excusion?  That’s 15 people and that’s crowded!  We were glad to pile out and stretch a bit at lunch before taking the ferry across to Argentina.  We were so thankful that we didn’t come last week because the border crossing was buried under water!  There has been so much rain that the dams were in endanger of breaking.  Once the dams were opened major flooding occurred in Argentina and in Paraguay.  In Ciudad del Este (where we cross over into Argentina 7,000 people were displaced.  I don’t know how many were displaced in Paraguay but we saw complete towns submerged as we drove back to Asuncion.
This is a picture of what the crossing looked like last week.  Crazy!  

 and this is when we crossed:
on the ferry headed to Argentina

Thursday we went to Iguazu falls and marveled at God’s beautiful creation.  All the flood waters causes the park to be closed last week, so we were thankful the park was even open.  As you can imagine, the Falls were full and beautiful.  However, several ramps leading to various views of the falls had been washed away and we saw its evidence crashed on the rocks below.

Early Friday we headed back across the border into Paraguay.  We got just a few blocks from the docks (on the Paraguay side) and our car broke down….it began to shake and make odd sounds and lost all power.  It was 7:00.  And thus began a VERY long day.  We waited while Jeff talked to the gas station attendants and was finally convinced that they hadn’t put bad gas in our tank.  We waited on the side of the road for a mechanic who never came.  And then we waited for a second mechanic who, thankfully, came but after trying a couple things decided that he could do nothing for us.  At noon the car limped its way to a mechanic shop and we waited 2 hours outside a grocery store.  At 2:00 the mechanics at the shop decided they could do nothing for the car and so we waited for a tow truck. 

 Our friend in CDE graciously transported us and all our luggage to the bus terminal.  He made 4 trips.  I’m pretty sure we totally exceeded the weight limit of his little 4 door car.  One the last trip we packed 11 of us inside plus a truck full of suitcases.  We were ride real low to the ground!

We boarded a bus at 3:00 and finally arrived in Asuncion after 10:00.  We got to the guest house close to 11: 00 and after eating pizza went right to bed.
The following day – Saturday – we were up early and downtown souvenir shopping.  A quick stop for lunch and it was off to the airport.  The time with the interns was sweet and fun and full of adventures.  As we walked back to our car after a sad good-bye Micah said, “I miss the interns already.” 

No comments: