Wednesday, April 8, 2009

CHICKEN DINNER GONE WRONG!

March 20, 2009

It’s always the same about a month after we’ve returned from Asuncion – a near empty freezer and a sparse looking refrigerator. It has been about that long since my last big grocery shopping and I have lost all desire to be creative with the little food we have left. I was excited when I found canned mixed vegetables at our little corner store today and decided to make chicken pot pie with our last frozen chicken breasts. Between teaching an English class, Jeff seeing patients all afternoon and company, I got a late start preparing dinner. It was about 6:30 when I put the frozen chicken in boiling water to thaw and 7:00 when it was ready to be de-boned. I put it in a 9x13 pan, poured a soup mixture over it, dropped biscuit dough on top, and put it in the oven. At 8:00 my family was starving and we quickly set the table and thanked God for the food. As soon as Jeff cut into the dish a horrible smell consumed us. Jeff took one bit of the chicken and spit it out. It was rotten!

So at 8:30, after giving our dinner to the chickens, we all poured ourselves some cereal.

4 comments:

The Bradfords said...

Oh, I hate that! I'm so sorry! I had that exact happen last week with some meat - it's so disappointing when your mouth is watering and you're hungry!
Is the pig to eat or dissect?

Jenifer Davidson said...

ok so i am afraid to ask what is that on the 4th shelf...tonights dinner?????

Abbie said...

Oh yikes! What a bummer after being so excited about a good dinner! Nice biology class in your fridge, Wask! I want to come play! :)

Christie said...

I was just saying the same thing this morning. I can tell how long it's been since an Asuncion trip by how much food is in the cabinet, and how often we're eating cereal or grilled cheese. Thank God Zucaritas and yummy sliced cheese are available in the campo!!