Thursday, October 4, 2012


September 28 and 29 

            I thought it was a bit strange that my morning sickness continued past the morning.  As the afternoon wore on, I became more nauseated and my stomach was feeling really gross.  I chalked it up to the pregnancy and went to bed early.  About midnight I woke up with cramps and could not go back to sleep.  My first thought was that I was having a placental detachment, like I had with Micah.  At that time, the doctor said that there was a 50% chance the placenta would tear more and I’d miscarry or it could stop separating and I’d have a healthy baby.  As I laid bed from midnight till morning, I prayed that God would protect this baby.     

            In the morning I woke up Jeff and told him what I thought.  He immediately did an exam and diagnosed me with appendicitis.  Never did I think I would be so glad to hear those words, but I was so relieved the baby was going to be ok.  I am so thankful for the knowledge God has given my husband and the reassurance that he was able to give me (over and over) that the baby was not in danger. 

            This was my first ever operation.  I was a bit nervous, but by the time 3:00 came around I was ready to be done with the pain. Jeff was able to be in the operating room with me, which gave me some comfort.  I am so thankful that we were already in the city and I didn’t have to pack us all up in the pain and travel 5 hours (some of those on bumpy dirt roads).

            I was totally unprepared for the painful recovery.  I naively thought that it would be like childbirth – you pay your pain dues at the beginning, but once the thing is out, you feel great.  NOT.  Those first couple days are rough! 

            16 hours after surgery I was released (on Micah’s 6th birthday).      I am so thankful for the friends that helped watched the kids while I was at the hospital and for a team mate who came from 3 hours away to stay 2 nights with kids.

            4 days later we headed to our home in rural Paraguay.  I am thankful for my children who are good little helpers and my husband who has been patient with me.  I am so thankful that this baby continues to have a strong heart beat and wiggles inside of me.



While the doctor was doing an ultrasound to diagnose appendicitis, he noted that my gall bladder had 20-30 stones in it.  I don’t know what that is all about since I have never had any gall bladder symptoms.  Would you help pray with me that I won’t experience any symptoms while pregnant and that I won’t have to have my gall bladder taken out as well during this pregnancy?     

No comments: