Friday, October 21, 2011

SOPA PARAGUAYA

A friend of mine gifted me some homemade cheese so my family could try sopa Paraguaya (a very typical dish here).  Sopa Paraguaya reminds me a bit of corn bread, but it is denser and with sautéed onions.

Like most typical dishes in Paraguay, it calls for cornmeal.  Cornmeal is in abundance because almost everyone grows and grinds their own corn.  Since I don’t have a field, I always have to ask different friends if I could help them pick, shuck or grind corn in exchange for a kilo or two.      

This time, we were given corn kernels.  After it was boiled and dried, Liz and I went to a friend’s house to grind and sift it.  It took so much arm and shoulder strength that I was very thankful my friend and her kids were all willing to take turns.


Sopa Paraguay
4 eggs
2K cornmeal
3Tbs starch
4 onions
Salt to taste
1 ½ C lard
milk

Cook onion with lard and salt
Mix cornmeal, starch, onion mixture and enough milk until soft
Pour in a 9x13 dish, bake at 350 for 45 minutes

No comments: