Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Dental Hygiene Class

Tuesday September 9, 2008

A father brought his three year old to our house. His complaint was that her teeth had rotted. Sure enough, Jeff said, the poor kid had not one tooth that wasn’t rotting away. Jeff asked if the little girl ever used a toothbrush and toothpaste. The answer was no. Jeff explained about sugar and cavities and that she needed to have her teeth brushed a couple times (at least) a day. The father then asked, “So it isn’t good that she goes to sleep each night with a bottle of sugared tea?”
People’s teeth here are so bad. I cannot imagine what pain goes on in their mouth on a daily basis! We have a dentist here in town but I have no idea what he does (some say he just knows how to pull teeth - $4 a tooth) or how he is qualified. Inspired by all the toothless smiles, I decided to do a dental hygiene lecture at the kid’s school. A few months ago I taught in Ryan’s class. Today I presented in Ginny and Joshua’s class. The kids were great listeners and had fun answering questions. They also laid the toothpaste and toothbrush I gave out at the end.
You know you have lived in the culture too long when…..Ginny said, “When I grow up I want a gold tooth like some of my friends at school.”


Teaching in Joshua's class


Ryan's class holding up the tooth brushes and tooth pastes I gave out


Ginny's class liked the tooth brush and tooth paste I handed out

Some of the smiles around town





2 comments:

Abbie said...

Oh wow! Good job Wask. That's crazy.

paraguayalyssa said...

This may be my favorite post, yet. Love the pics and Ginny's gold tooth comment. Nice work.